Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:09:09 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GDB modifies shared libraries?

I was debugging a (large) program using GDB on an xterm (which
prevented me from getting the exact text, as you will see).  This
is on 2.2.6-RELEASE on a P6-200 with 128M ram.  I was running as
a normal user, not root.

I issued the "run" command and GDB said that /usr/lib/libc.so.3.1
had changed and it was re-loading it.  That was followed immediately
by X freezing, and then a spontaneous re-boot.

After the system re-booted, sure enough the date on /usr/lib/libc.so.3.1
had been changed!

Now, with this program, GDB generally says that the *program* has changed
*every* time I issue the "run" command, but I thought that was just a
GDB problem.  But I don't understand how GDB can override protections
on /usr/lib/libc.so.3.1 in order to change its date.  This seems like
an OS bug.

Any fixes around?

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 916 8256)