Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:43:40 -0700
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100 Mbit/s is (a lot) slower than 10 Mbit/s

:
> PS.  If the ethernet cable or dongle is disconnected for any reason,
> the laptop hangs until I lean on the power button.  Very annoying.

I don't know if this helps or not, but those Linksys cards are funky.
I once tried to connect two of them (in Windows machines) with a
crossover cable, and they went into an auto-sensing death spiral.  They
would go up and down every second or so, with a nice light show on the
dongles.  Even the Linksys website acknowledged this "feature".

Perhaps there is a conflict with an auto-sensing hub/switch at the
office?

Greg