Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:19:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hw.snd.pcm0.vchans

On 26-Oct-2001 Thomas E. Zander wrote:
> > Then point apps at /dev/dsp0.X (where X is 0 to 3)
>
>  Doing so, all my sound is played at about 2/3 the speed it should.
>
>  Anyone else got this problem?
>  P.S.: dmesg line
>
>  pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> port 0xb000-0xb003,0xb400-0xb403,0xb800-0xb8ff irq 10
>  at device 4.5 on pci0

Ouch..
I have one of these in a current box and the sound is pretty bad but not slow..

I use vchans with a Maestro 3 and apart from not handling 44.1 vs 48 kHz very
well it's fine.

(Linear interpolation sucks, but anything better is pretty 'fun' to implement
in kernel :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum