Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:22:29 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/hardware/alpha proc-alpha.sgml

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 08:46:36AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> Is there a reference for this particular change?  According to the FDP
> Primer, <para></para> is a block element too.  This is not a challenge,
> but a request for education.  :-)

Yes, but the purpose of <para></para> is to contain character data.
The commit message was a bit short or even sloppy in this regard.

There are two main reasons for this kind of change:

a) Try this: seperate the 'create html' and 'fix html' steps of the
build process (in other words, run tidy seperatly).  Now run tidy,
without throwing its output away.  Check its messages when it
encounters an <itemitzedlist> inside a <para>.  It complains and
has to slap in extra breaks.

b) Try loading the .html file of the old version in Word.  Yes,
it's a microsoft product but unfortunately, it is the only way
I have to check the spelling of the DE version (ispell-de does
not handle 8 bit characters, and the German umlauts are 8 bit).
You will notice that Word also has massive problems to display
the text correctly.  If you load the list of supported hardware,
you end with text that is just one column wide, the other 79
are indentation.

Additionally, there have been a lot cases where similar changes
were made to the FAQ, always with the comment 'bad SGML'.

> I'm concerned about the added potential for error.

I'm not concerned about the "potential" - I fell into this particular
trap during my first attempt to translate the list of supported
hardware and had to start over.

Right now, I do not want to open this can of worms and until I
find a technique that can disable several elements with a single
change and uses 'good' SGML, the various documents that need this
construct are safe.

/s/Udo
--
"Ich kann rennen wie ein Hirsch!"