Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:22:23 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

Around Yesterday, "Matthew N. Dodd" wrote :

MND>  How people manage to use unix on a day to day basis without screen really
MND>  amazes me.

X :)

MND>  Screen is a TTY multiplexor.  It allows you to create new sessions
MND>  controlled by your terminal and switch between them.  Think of it as VTYs
MND>  for any generic TTY.  You use ^A-space/^A-[0-9] instead of the F-keys.

Screen has other useful properties, like built-in cut and paste,
support for up to 9 sessions per VT (meaning you could
theoretically have 108 real, easily usable sessions), etc, etc.

The nicest function of screen though for me is the detach function.
You can detach from your screen, and logout. The processes and
everything associated with them will still run as if you are logged
in. When you want to log back in, re-attach to that screen
session, and it's like you never left. It's also great for
situations where you may loose connectivity (for some or other
reason). When connectivity is restored, you can simply
re-attach to the screen.

Khetan Gajjar.
---
khetan@uunet.co.za	* khetan@os.org.za        * PGP Key, contact
UUNET South Africa	* FreeBSD enthusiast      * details and other
http://www.uunet.co.za	* http://www.freebsd.org  * information at
System Administration   * http://office.os.org.za * kg+details@uunet.co.za