Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:03:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making -releng binaries on a machine running -stable

Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com> types:
> I want to track RELENG_4_3 on an old machine with a small local disk,
> incapable of holding /usr/obj or running make buildworld.
>
> I have a much bigger faster machine running -stable.  Can I make
> RELENG_4_3 items on it and transfer them to the smaller machine?  I
> have the RELENG_4_3 sources, but not in /usr/src/.  It seems that if I
> set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and DESTDIR, I can make buildworld.

Yes, you can. What I would advise is to share the source and object
trees between the two machines via nfs. The trick is that the real
mount point for the two has to be the same on both machines, and not
just symlinked to the same place. You should also make sure that
/etc/make.conf on the two is a similar as possible. You can then do
buildworld on the -stable box, and installworld on the target machine
without futzing with MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX or DESTDIR.

> What if I just want to make (say) telnetd?  Typing 'make' in
> src/secure/libexec/telnetd doesn't work; it puts the objects in the
> wrong place and then fails because it's getting the wrong libraries.

That's expected. "make" builds with the existing system. I don't think
there's a way to build single commands using the things in
/usr/obj. However, once you've set up things as described above, you
might be able to build single commands on the system that's to small
for buildworld.

	<mike