Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:41:57 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
Subject:   Re: Need Help with Olympus/Nikon Digital Camera - umass0 device

On Saturday, 29 December 2001 at 10:20:26 -0500, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Has anyone made any progress on getting the Olympus or Nikon
> cameras working as a usb mass storage device?
>
> I need to be able to download images from the camera.
> I have read the suggestion from several people
> to just purchase a smart-card drive. I may end up having to go
> that route, but would rather not pay any money if I don't
> have to.

I tried gphoto2 recently with my Nikon CoolPix 880.  It was able to
establish some kind of communication, but I didn't get any photos
downloaded.  One of the reasons I didn't continue was the realization
that I was draining the batteries; I didn't see any evidence of
something that wasn't working, just that I hadn't understood the
commands yet.

> But..., if I do, what is a good brand of smart card drive?  And,
> what can I expect to pay?

Flash card PCMCIA adaptors seem to be all the same, only a few wires,
and they cost about $10.  They probably pay for themselves in battery
life pretty quickly :-)

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.