Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 16:26:24 -0300
From:      "Altair Demetrio Jr." <ademetriojr@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal trap 12?

Hello, since I bought my Compaq, I could never install FreeBSD.
I mean, the installation succeeds, but I reboot, the booting process stops
with the following message:

fault virtual address	= 0x1
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc018876b
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc0652ec0
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc0652edc
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, I0PL = 0
current process	= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
trap number		= 12
syncing disks...
done
Uptime: 3s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

If a press any key, it aborts and waits untill I press another key to reboot.
It has been like that on my Compaq since FreeBSD 4.1, I also tried 4.2 and
4.3, it has the same problem. Processor is an AMD Athlon 900mhz. I used to
have FreeBSD on my older PC, but I sold it to buy this new one. Now I feel
like I did something really stupid. I can't wait no more, I have to use
FreeBSD, Linux just won't do it.
Can you guys help me out? Thanks.

A. Demetrio Jr.