Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:29:58 +0300 (AST)
From:      root@isis.dynip.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Which HD is better, What is the Cleanest WAY ?

Hi GANG,
I have to buy a new HD SOON, my filesystems are crying under the
pressure of heavy downloads, I already have 6 GIGABYTE Western Digital,
and I remember telling myself the day I bought it, not very long ago,
now we've got a big one that will prevent the machine from complaining
for long, but it appears that I was very wrong.

I was wondering which type/size of HDs is ok as an addition, I just
want to be able to :
1. Compile the entire FreeBSD system, leaving the /usr/obj all the time.
2. Build a release and serve it via FTP.
3. Build the ENTIRE ports collection.
4. Convert ports to PACKAGES, and serve both on the ftp.
5. Build a couple of Hundred (medium-sized) local ports, and serve them.
6. Serve moderate amount of WEB pages (~50 megs)
7. Network News (not all newsgroups, almost of them).
8. Serve Majordomo Mailing Lists (very FEW of them)
9. Serve about 1 - 1.5 GIGABYTES of FTP.
10. Serve Small Gopher Site.
11. Have some space for programs to breath without BITCHING about space.

I am thinking of 10 GIGs, is that enough in addition to my 6 gigs.

Another Question:
I have the wd0 with / /usr /var on it, now when I add the wd1 should I
make it the bootable and nuke my current installation, or just plug it
in and format then make the move of /usr or /var to that drive, and
symlink it on wd0.

Any Great ideas from all you SysAdmins is greatly appreciated.
(By the way any limitation on size or type of the new HD that I sould
be aware of ??? )
Thanks

--
- MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.                                ~o  .^.