Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:20:42 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Odhiambo Washington' <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Newbie Help Diagnosing Startup Script

I didn't actually try it but I will.  I don't think there is an actual
problem with my script as it runs without error when invoked from the
command line.  What I don't understand is why a script will work fine when
invoked from the command prompt but not be run automatically on startup?  I
don't know if the script actually fails or if it is just never run.  Is
there a way to tell?  Is there a log file I can look at to see what is
happening when the script runs?  If there isn't a log file, how can I create
one?

Thanks for all your help.  The particular service I use can be found at
http://www.dynip.com.  I have installed their client and it is quite easy to
use.  Just type "dynipclient" to start or "dynipclient -k" to stop.  And my
script does this just fine when my pwd is /usr/local/etc/rc.d and invoked
from the command line as "./dynip.sh start" or "./dynip.sh stop".

Drew