Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 09:23:44 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        solarflux@ziplip.com
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Exploit

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 01:22, you wrote:
> Are you for real?  Have you ever sniffed a connection between two machi=
nes

=09Sure!

> using ssldump?  When looking at a telnet or ftp connection, it shows
> everything, clear as day.

=09It is obvious that ssh has many benefits. It encrypts the connection, =
and=20
you can use public keys to authenticate both parties. I am not silly.

> As long as OpenSSH exploits are fixed in a timely fashion, I consider s=
shd
> to be MUCH more secure than telnetd.  The zlib bug argument is pretty w=
eak.

=09I don't think it is weak. Software complexity is a serious danger. I w=
ould=20
prefer a simpler ssh service without frills, subject to a design process =
with=20
a strong focus on security. Do you think all the software used by OpenSSH=
 (or=20
other ssh implementations) has been thoroughly audited?

=09Hey, I use ssh years ago, and I always authenticate with public keys. =
It is=20
really useful, but I am worried with the current trends with software=20
complexity and reuse. It can lead to security problems.

=09Borja.

--=20