Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2013 08:28:49 -0500
From:      Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
To:        Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS in production enviroments

Like you, we watched for a long time before jumping in.

We ran ZFS for quite a few years doing it the "wrong" way - having a
filesystem on a single volume (mapped from our SAN). This was on a
fairly low-capacity data-backup server (4TB or so) and although this
misses a lot of the features of ZFS, it did give us some basic
experience using it as a filesystem.

More recently we run a couple of "bulk data" servers for compute
clusters, with between 40-120 drives each. We used:

Dell R710 or R720 as head node, 48-64GB RAM, starting from FreeBSD 9.1-RC1.
multiple LSI SAS 9205-8e HBAs (should probably have looked at -16e)
Intel 10GBe ethernet (old-style CX4 adapters, we are cheapskates :-)
Supermicro SC847 E16-RJBOD1 45-bay SAS chassis (this is just the
single-channel model)
WD 3TB Red drives
Intel 313 SSD log cache mirror
randomly-selected L2ARC SSD (currently some mind of Samsung)

each zfs pool made of four 10-drive raidz2 vdevs plus associated SSD
drives (fits self-contained into one JBOD chassis).

This has performed really well even though we have barely done any NFS
tuning yet.

For home directories for which I've have been asking advice on this
list, for building in the next few weeks, we will probably use dual-path
chassis and gmultipath, WD RE-series SAS drives, and some variety of
mirroring rather than raidz. None of these are meant to be
high-availability, we'd just swap connections to a different head unit
in case of failure.

Graham