Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:54:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jeff Rhyason <rhyason@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org, peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au, bright@wintelcom.net, jeff@rhyason.com
Subject:   Re: Collecting waiting statistics (simulation question)

Alphred Perlstein wrote:
> Using sysctls is probably the easiest way of doing it.

I am so stupid, Alphred, I did not think sysctl's could be used to
provide access to arrays.  I should have looked more.

Chuck Robey wrote:
>Occaisonally, but you'd do better hitting this list in general.  I'm on a
>new job and I'm giving it a LOT of hours; you might wait a week for me to
>find time to generate an answer.  It depends on your questions, too.  If
>you demonstrate by your question's topic and focus that you've made a
>*hard* effort to answer it on yourself, *loads* of folks will help.  If
>it looks like just another person looking for a free ride (and there's so
>many of those that we get a bit defensive) then you wouldn't expect too
>much.

Free ride?  No way ;)  I'm enjoying this project too much!
However I definitely needed (and appreciated!) finding out if the code had
been written before, and ways of going about it.

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Pruning out the general-purpose bits of code, you could use
> something like the following:

Thanks VERY much to everyone who replied to my message, particularly your
code Peter! I put it to successful use!  What I did was implement a
circular buffer of kern_malloc_stats-like structs, accessible with
sysctl's.  The magic that gets done with sysctl header files, I may never
figure out ;)  However mmapping kvm, as you suggest, would have been a
faster way to go, I did not think of that.

Thanks to everybody.

If anyone wants to see the code, just let me know.  I thought about
posting it, but it's pretty close to Peter's.

Jeff