Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2014 04:10:37 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fast or slow crypto?

John-Mark Gurney wrote this message on Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 18:22 -0700:
> Subj is more limited by your attack profile, than purely fast crypto..
> In some cases the crypto can be made reasonably fast while being
> secure against side channel analysis, but in other cases (GHASH) it's
> pretty much one (slow and secure) or the other (fast and insecure)...

So, one point I somewhat forget in this is that the version of software
AES in the kernel (that this new GHASH would go with) is vulnerable to
side-channel attacks...  So, we are already in the fast and less secure
side of the equation..

There are lots of interesting optimizations that can made, including a
version of AES that uses SSE registers, is constant time, and faster
than the Sbox lookup version...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579