Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 12:10:25 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: allegro lisp

In <E0yf1Z1-0001h4-00@oak66.doc.ic.ac.uk>, Niall Smart wrote:
> AFAIK Allegro Lisp is used by quite a few people who run FreeBSD,
> therefore I suggest we contact them to inquire about the possibility
> of helping to ensure that the Linux version works under emulation on
> FreeBSD.

A fix for the 4.2 coredump problem has been committed to -current a
few weeks ago. I didn't try it, but the change was supposed to make
ACL work.

> As someone has noted already, 5.0 beta does not work in
> FreeBSD compatability because it expects a linux /proc filesystem which
> the emulation layer does not fully support.  Perhaps they will consider
> modifying it to do whatever it is trying to do in a more portable way,
> or at least one which is compatable with our compatability layer :)

Well, I think
a) relying on undocumented procfs behaviour to do anything will make
   your software break on future version of the OS as well.
b) Should we try to emulate /proc, we will quickly run into problems
   that kernel or process structure internals will be exposed when
   they shouldn't. Or in other words, there's a good chance that the
   application in question moves from using an API to using an
   inplementation, which is where we have to stop emulating.

> If anyone here is friendly with the folks at Franz Inc. or has a support
> contract with them and is willing to request this of them then please
> email me.  Otherwise I will contact them myself later this week.

Please do so. Maybe they can provide an exact list they expect /proc
to do (that menas what they are missing from the API). Also, check the
Staroffice thread on -hackers as well, exactly the same problem.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer