Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:59:42 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        dgason <dgason@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help: installing XFree86 3.3.3.1

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 02:35:53PM -0500, dgason wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I've just finished installing 3.0-RELEASE on my system and applying the
> 30upgrade.tgz package. The OS seems to work well.
>     However, I need to install XFree86 3.3.3.1 if I want a GUI because the
> earlier versions of XFree86 won't recognize my new video card (A Number Nine
> Rendition IV). I download the XFree86 port, untar it, run the "configure"
> script and then attempt a "make".
>     Here's the errors I get during the make:
>
>     "/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line2: Coult not find
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
>     line 70: Malformed conditional (${PORTOBJFORMAT} = "aout")
>     line 70: need an operator
>     line 83: if-less endif
>
>     This is a fresh install of 3.0-RELEASE on a brand new system. The only
> thing installed are the sources and binaries of the OS, the sources and
> binaries of the slightly older version of X that came with 3.0-RELEASE, plus
> the 3.0 upgrade patch.
>
>     What do I need to do to get the install of XFree86 3.3.3.1 to work?

It looks like you need syncronize /usr/ports/Mk so it is up to date
with the port you grabbed for Xfree. /usr/ports/Mk contains some
template makefiles for building ports.

If you have enough disk space (I think around 200Mb? -guessing), the
most straightforward option might be to syncronize the whole ports
tree.  There are a few ways to do this. I know there is a link on the
ports page where you can download the whole ports tree as a gzip'ed
tar file, but I've never tried that (see http:www.freebsd.org/ports).

I prefer to use cvsup. There's plenty of info for syncronizing sources
at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html, including the info
on cvsup and a link to a binary package to install it.

If you end up using cvsup, there is a nice example supfile to sync up
just the ports tree under /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile. You
may want to edit it to use cvsup2.freebsd.org or cvsup3.freebsd.org
though, as the default cvsup.freebsd.org is usually kind of loaded
down.

--
Chuck