Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:31:45 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From:      Voicu Liviu <pacman@roth.hul.huji.ac.il>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help mounting ext2/3, ntfs [was: <no subject>]

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Nathan Kinkade wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:25:09PM +0000, Voicu Liviu wrote:
> > my problem is mounting vfat/ext3 partitions:
> > under linux my table looks like:
> > /dev/hda1 - > win2k
> > /dev/hda2 - > root of gentoo linux
> > /dev/hda3 - > swap of gentoo linux
> > /dev/hda4 - > my freebsd workstation
> >
> > Any 1 please, how do I mount the partition of linux/win2k under freebsd?
> >
> > Every thing is named different in freebsd.
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Voicu Liviu
>
> Voicu,
>
> First, ALWAYS put a subject in your post and try your best to summarize
> the entire question in a few descriptive words.  Frequently, not putting
> a subject will cause list members to skip over and ignore your post.
You are so right...I always fill the subject but now I missed it...I'm
appologise.
> Second, read the handbook section 2.5: Allocating Disk Space at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html
> This should help you to understand device naming/numbering in FreeBSD
The truth is I was looking for something like this but did not find
...maybe I did not search to much.
> That said, assuming that you are using IDE HDDs, you device names will
> probably correspond between Linux -> FreeBSD something like:
>
> FreeBSD    -> Linux
> /dev/ad0s1 -> /dev/hda1
> /dev/ad0s2 -> /dev/hda1
> /dev/ad0s3 -> /dev/hda1
> /dev/ad0s4 -> /dev/hda1
I just don't understand why does FreeBSD work like that
"/dev/ad0s_number_here".
> >From here you can read up mount(8) for more information on mounting
> various filesystem types.  A Google (or similar) search would probably
> also prove helpful.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Nathan
Thank you

Voicu Liviu
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Rothberg International School
Network Support and Assistant Programmer