Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:57:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Joey Garcia <bsd_usr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: sym0 error messages (and kernel panic) - what do these messages mean? (fwd)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> [...]

This assertion wasn't expected to fail. ;-)
The involved code is only triggerred when a pending SCSI command=20
times out or when the driver is asked by CAM for resetting a device.
This happens generally when the SCSI BUS is stalled due to=20
something bad having happened.

The error condition corresponds to an "ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION DETECTED"=20
The messages seem to indicate that the SCRIPTS tried to execute a MOVE
instruction of zero byte, which is illegal.

> > Oct 24 20:03:00 bsd /kernel: sym0: regdump: da 10 80
> > 9d 47 0f 00 0f 00 0e 80 ae 80 00 06 08 00 66 ff 05
> > 2a
> > ff ff ff.
> > Oct 24 20:03:00 bsd /kernel:
> > (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):
> > SCSI BUS reset detected.
> > Oct 24 20:03:21 bsd /kernel: sym0:0: message c sent
> > on
> > bad reselection.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Thank you for all the help!

Could you describe your hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if it encounters
memory problems. Obviously, it is just my first idea and I may be wrong.
The driver may also have been confused by some weird SCSI error, but I
would prefer to be sure that your hardware is sane prior to any further
investigation.

If, as numerous FreeBSD users, you also have a Linux distribution
installed, building the Linux kernel a couple of times will have every
chance to trigger a signal 11, if your system has memory problems. Don't
ask me why the Linux kernel build detects memory problems far better than
BSD kernel build, just trust me about. :-) Obviously, you may run some
academic memory testers, instead.

  G=E9rard.