Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:44:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@bsdie.rwsystems.net>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console redirection and other kernel options

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 up@3.am wrote:
> This is my first BSD installation coming from a Sparc/Solaris background,
> so please bear with me...

Welcome aboard!

> I've built a rackmount server that I'd like to be able to get into the
> console remotely, via a direct connection from a PM2.  I've got the bios
> to come come up over the serial connection (it's an Intel L440GX+ with
> console redirection support) and I built a new kernel with:
>
> device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x20 tty  irq 4

This just configures the serial port device into the kernel. You need that
to use a serial console or dialup modem. It's an important first step! 8{)

You might also look-into adding this line to your kernel:

   options CONSPEED=38400 #default speed for serial console (default 9600)

To get a getty on the serial line, allowing you a login prompt, try
adding this line to /etc/ttys and signalling init:

   ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"   vt320  on secure

> Any hints on how to get this working, would be greatly appreciated.  On a
> somewhat related note, I noticed that the original GENERIC kernel was
> about 2.3MB, and this new one that I built is <cough> 8.3MB, even though I
> mostly just commented stuff out in the config file.  Is this normal, ie
> the original kernel is compressed or something?

Yikes! Most of my Kernels are 1-2MB. Is this file size, memory footprint,
or what? Removing lots of unused drivers helps quite a bit. I think the
kernel is compressed, there is gzip code in it. HTH - Jy@