Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 04:50:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jian-Da Li <jdli@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [PORT] xsysinfo-1.1

>         Hi :
>
> 	Here is the port of xsysinfo-1.1, which is designed for FreeBSD.
>
> 	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/xsysinfo-1.1-port.tgz

A few things wrong with this port, I'm afraid:

Problem #1:

jkh@time-> make
>> xsysinfo-1.1.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.edu.tw/Operating-Systems/FreeBSD/packages/jdli/source/.
NCTUCCCA.edu.tw(ftp.edu.tw) Anonymous FTP Archives, WELCOME from time.cdrom.com.
/Operating-Systems/FreeBSD/packages/jdli/source/xsysinfo-1.1.tar.gz: No such file.

Cause: Failure to set EXTRACT_SUFX in the Makefile to `.tgz' since
this isn't a .tar.gz file.  Fixed.

Problem #2:

jkh@time-> make
<fetch step>
===>  Extracting for xsysinfo-1.1
===>  Patching for xsysinfo-1.1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for xsysinfo-1.1
cannot open /a/ports/sysutils/xsysinfo/patches/patch-*: no such file

You have an empty patches directory.  Removed.

Finally, and this is not really so much a problem as it is just a
piece of advice, you don't need the @cwd line in your PLIST file since
the default destination is already set to /usr/X11R6 for ports that
use IMAKE.  Letting the ports framework set it ensures that if
/usr/X11R6 should ever change as the default location, we can change
it in only once place.  Like I said, this isn't really an error, just
a tip.

Finally, and this is what keeps me from committing the port even
though the other problems were easy to fix, it doesn't seem to work! :-(

root@time-> xsysinfo
pstat: cannot read swapptr: kvm_read: Bad address
pstat: cannot read swapptr: kvm_read: Bad address
pstat: cannot read swapptr: kvm_read: Bad address
pstat: cannot read swapptr: kvm_read: Bad address
pstat: cannot read swapptr: kvm_read: Bad address
<loops forever>

I get a window with the graphs in it, but it doesn't look like it's
able to read anything from kvm.

					Jordan