Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:56:47 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: should I change to multicore CPU??

--------------enig6112050D82EC02B4EEBD8D53

Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>  I know that freebsd7 has huge improvement on multi-threading
> execution. I wonder if I upgrade to 7, would I feel it?? I now own a
> amd64/3400+, running 6.3. It's just personal use, download files,
> watch movies, etc. I guess it will be faster on multi-core when I run
> mencoder to encode movie, but aside from that, will it mike much
> difference to me?? thank you!!

No, if you don't need any of the new features in 7.x, you won't feel a=20
difference for the described operations. You don't have enough CPUs or=20
enough programs that do multithreading operations together with IO to=20
notice any difference at all.

Some people say they can feel the difference in desktop applications=20
because of the new ULE scheduler, but I very much doubt it, probably a=20
psychological thing :)