Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:03:38 -0600
From:      Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        andrei <admin@zeyas.com>
Subject:   Re: a quick question ...

On Sunday 26 December 2004 18:43, andrei wrote:
> Hi, my name is Andrei and I have recently purchased FreeBSD from BSDMall
> and I ran into few problems. I am a windows user but i have some experince
> in Linux BUT, I got rid of my windows machine and installed FreeBDS. After
> the install for some reason i log into root and i use the startx command
> since i get no GUI interface and i get 3 pannels (light green bar and white
> background and a clock at the top (it looks like a 16 bit OS or something).
> Can you tell me what could be wrong ... any help will be apreciated. (i am
> gladly getting rid of windows and i am probably not give up easily that is
> why i would like some help) ... Thank you for the time taken to read my
> email and helping me. My system is 3.06Ghz intel, all in wonder ati 9700
> pro, 200Gb WD, 1Gb ram, cd-rw 52x24x52, dvd-rw 4x2x32, sound blaster audigy
> 2.
andrei!

welcome!

There is nothing wrong, I think.  It sounds as if you have properly installed
X.  But X isn't the friendliest desktop around, as you've seen.

You should be able to get a full-featured desktop by issuing the following
commands:

cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3
make all install clean
login andrei (or some NON-ROOT user)
startx

KDE is only one of several "window managers" that are available, but it is
probably the most widely used.

It is recommended that you use a NON-ROOT user unless you specifically need
root access.

There is a way to configure your system to log in directly to the GUI, but I
use the following in ~/.cshrc:

if ($?DISPLAY) then
        set history = 100
        set savehist = 100
else
        startx
endif

This will cause FreeBSD to issue the "startx" command on a per-user basis.

If you get that X desktop and don't know how to get out of it, press
<CTRL><ALT><BACKSPACE>.  This will shut down X and put you back at the
command line.

Thanks for purchasing FreeBSD!

lane