Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 18:10:37 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>, witr@rwwa.com, dlombardo@excite.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?

taavi@uninet.ee said:
:- CVSup is definitely easiest way to keep well defined collection of
:- files up to date.

Yes, but who ever uses even a *small* fraction of the available ports?
For a end user system or even a local server to try to keep the
ports files up to date seems like a lot of wasted effort and space.

What I was suggesting was this:

  cd /usr/ports/<category>
  make <whatever>

This would ftp the port for whatever, then continue just as if the
port was already there.  Seems like one just need add a "portfetch"
target.  And deal with dependencies...

Another thing I'd like to see would be to have the "fetch" target look
in another place after /usr/ports/distfiles and before trying to do
a ftp.  That way I could mount the cdrom and the port system would look
there before doing the ftp.

A final thing I'd like to see would be to have a more regular naming
convention for ports that includes the version...

I may attempt to implement the first two things someday...