Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:50:08 GMT
From:      Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/83807: [sis] [patch] if_sis: Wake On Lan support for FreeBSD

The following reply was made to PR kern/83807; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
To: Edwin Mons <freebsd@edwinm.ik.nu>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/83807: [sis] [patch] if_sis: Wake On Lan support for
	FreeBSD
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:45:04 +0200

 --dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

 On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 05:07:39PM +0200, Edwin Mons wrote:
 >  I currently have one -CURRENT machine, and several 6.2-STABLE machines. =
  For=20
 >  at least two of them (the -CURRENT and an x86 -STABLE machine) I'd reall=
 y=20
 >  like to have WoL support, as these are my workstation and a home server,=
 =20
 >  both of them really do not need to be on all the time, but I want to be =
 able=20
 >  to reach them when I need a file from them when I'm elsewhere.

 Yes, wake on lan, if used properly, makes computers a bit more
 friendly to the environment :-)

 >  I usually use either if_em or if_xl chipsets, so I hoped landing this co=
 de=20
 >  in at least -CURRENT (should go there first, I guess) would result in mo=
 re=20
 >  chipsets supported ;)

 There is code for enabling wake on lan in the Linux drivers for both
 if_xl and if_em cards. See drivers/net/3c59x.c and
 drivers/net/e1000/e1000_ethtool.c in the linux source tree.

 So I don't think adding support for these cards is a problem.
 Just need to find some time to do it...

 If anyone has data sheets for these cards I'd like a copy if possible.

 By the way if anyone has data sheets for if_vr I'd like a copy as
 well please because there is something the Linux driver does that
 I do not understand because the code is not obvious enough.
 Specifically I need to understand what the hell they mean exactly
 by "patterns for WOL".

 > > If anyone has a card that does wake on lan after shutdown from Linux
 > > but not after shutdown from FreeBSD with my patch applied let me know.
 > > You may need to use the ethtool utility to enable WOL on Linux.
 >=20
 >  I don't run Linux on either machine.  Perhaps I could do some tests on m=
 y=20
 >  workstation with a CD-based linux distribution.

 No need to test your cards with Linux since we know now there is code
 for this in Linux so it should work anyway.

 --=20
 stefan
 http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0

 --dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx