Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:54:23 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting the size of syslogd output files using options in syslog.conf

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 05:07 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <
> bf597c3830ebabbef6ac422a5d648e1eed13fac5.camel@freebsd.org>, Ian Le
> pore writes:
> > I've posted a review of a small syslogd change which lets you set a
> > limit on the size of syslogd output files in /etc/syslog.conf.  The
> > idea is to prevent filling up a filesystem on emmc or sdcard or
> > other
> > small storage device on an embedded system with unexpected logging
> > triggered by some error or failing hardware.
>
> You should consider fifolog(1) in such environments.

fifolog looks pretty cool and I had no idea it existed, so thanks for
the pointer; I may find useful things to do with it.

But for the problem of unexpected syslog spewage it has exactly the
same problem as running newsyslog very frequently:  by design it
discards the information you most want preserved (the triggering event
that led to unexpected log spewage) while carefully preserving all the
following noise which is typically more about symptoms rather than
causes of the problem.

-- Ian