Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 09:23:26 -0600
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Follow-up:--TX underrun, increasing TX threshold -- is dc0 driver broken?? Linksys broken??

Ok -- I get the TX underrun error about 4 times, then it goes to the
'Using store and forward method'.

Now to transfer a 30MB .wav file in windows on the same machines take about 20-25 seconds,
[done via netbios -- windows sharing, not via ftp server]

on FreeBSD [same machines, just about same kernel config running 4.3-Stable] it takes
anywhere from 70 to 200 seconds [I've hit 359 one time]. -- [Done via ftp/ftpd].

On FreeBSD I get lots of collisions, about 75% of the time that my transfer light lights up,
my collision light goes up on the hub. In win95 it does not.

I've tried doing this same transfer in Full-Duplex and just 100baseTX mode, in full-duplex
[which i was told not to use since i'm running a hub] - I've maxed out at 512 Kbytes/sec,
I was lucky, otherwise the transfers are usually in the 100's or lower and I get lots of
collisions.  I can't even play MP3's live from one PC to another via NFS as it skips
[yet again in Windows it does not via Netbios].

Cards are Linksys LNE100TX [v 4.x] with a Linksys HUB [came with the FENSK05 home
networking kit].

My assumption on all this is that in Windows [running Netbios/Netbuie/IPX/SPX/TCP/IP]
I can play mp3's from one on another live via windows shares, in FreeBSD I can't play
via Samba on win95 box, nor can I play via NFS on both boxes it just skips, and I get
lots of collision on the hub.  Most test are done trying to play mp3's across the network.
I will know my network/NICS/hubs is working when I can accomplish that :).

Has anyone had bad experiences with Linksys cards ?
Should I buy 3com?
Should I buy Intel?
If they work fine in Windows -- is the driver broken [anyone else using these cards fine?]
Can it be some other configuration? Like the MTU rate? [1500]

Does anyone know of a testing utility I can use to see what the problem is?
Is there another driver I should use?
Should I send this to -net?
Should I send this to -hackers?

ifconfig shows them running fine with 100baseTX mode [and full-duplex if i force it]

There are only two machines on this hub, both dual boot win95 and freebsd 4.3, both
are 233 MMX, one with 48 MB RAM and the other with 32MB RAM.

www.nul.cjb.net
www.FreeBSD.org