Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 14:38:52 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd/sparc64 bootable iso available

Apparently, On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 06:04:53AM -0500,
	Jake Burkholder said words to the effect of;

> I've put up a bootable ISO image, which can be used to install a system
> relatively easily.  I've tested it on an ultra 10 with the onboard ide
> and an ultra 60 with sym scsi, should also work on ultra 5s and blade 100s
> at least.  The cd boots multi user and has a binary distribution tarball
> on it; you can use system on the cd to install on disk.  The root password
> is abc123.
>
> Use the tools on the cd to label, install the bootblock, and newfs your
> drive, then mount your partitions and untar the tarball in root's home
> directory on them.  I put up a transcript of an install on an ultra 60.
> When labeling your drive be sure that the partitions are on cylinder
> boundaries, the disklabel format requires it.  Insert usual warnings
> about experimental software and destruction of data.

A note about using disklabel.  I've put precooked labels on the cd
for my drives which you can use if the geometry matches exactly.  Bad
things will happen if you use them otherwise.

The canonical way to do this is:

disklabel -Brw <disk> auto
disklabel -e <disk>

and use the editor to edit the label and then write it back out.
vi will work from the cd; the console driver is not great but
usable.

To calculate the sizes of the partitions so they fall on cylinder
boundaries you need a calculator.  Basically it goes like this:

Calculate (size in MB * 2) / (sectors / cylinder).
This will probably give you a fraction, round up or down and
multiply by the (sectors / cylinder) again to get the final
size.

For my 9 gig scsi drives, disklabel -Brw da0 auto gives:

sectors/cylinder: 16065
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 17689267        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1101*)

Using calc to find the size in sectors for a 128meg root partition:

> ((128 * 2^10) * 2)
        262144
> ((128 * 2^10) * 2) / 16065
        ~16.31770930594460006224
        257040

I use disklabel -e to edit the label and make:

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:   257040        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    22   # (Cyl.    0 - 15)
  b:  1060290   257040      swap                        # (Cyl.   16 - 81)
  c: 17689267        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1101*)
  e:   257040  1317330    4.2BSD     1024  8192    22   # (Cyl.   82 - 97)
  f: 16114897  1574370    4.2BSD     1024  8192    22   # (Cyl.   98 - 1101*)

Which is ~128 meg / (a), ~512 meg swap (b), ~128 meg /var (e), rest /usr (f).

The offsets are the sizes of the previous partitions added together,
not including c.  ie offset for e is 257040 + 1060290.

My ata disks have different sectors / cylinder than my scsi disks, so
you generally have to start fresh for different disks.

Jake