Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 18:03:54 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@mrincubator.org>
To:        Daniel Barron <nettle@jadeb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After 170 days uptime, now reboots every few hours

Regarding spontaneous rebooting of a system that previously worked fine,
and responding to the possibility that it is a power supply problem...

Daniel Barron wrote:

> Unfortunately the box is one of those mini-pcs, no bigger than a CD ROM
> drive.  I can't just swap the PSU [power supply unit] from another
> standard PC to check.  This is also the situation with the HD.

Heat is the enemy of electronics. Check fans, air flow, and dirt/dust.
Clean the unit and relocate it so that air flow is unrestricted. Replace
any fans that may be getting sluggish -- fan bearings do wear out. If
properly maintained, electronics can last indefinitely. Heat can easily
cause CPUs and disk drives to malfunction. If caught early, there may not
be any permanent damage, but if left unattended to, you may wind up having
to replace parts.

All of the above is especially important for 'small box' systems like
yours.

Good luck -- Mark