Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2021 05:44:37 +0300
From:      Iasen Kostov <iasen.kostov@gmail.com>
To:        parv/freebsd <parv.0zero9+freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: databases/p5-DBD-MariaDB

On 4.4.2021 г. 21:12, parv/freebsd wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 5:23 AM Iasen Kostov <iasen.kostov@gmail.com
> <mailto:iasen.kostov@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Iasen,
>
> Please keep the mailing lists as recipients. I do not want to
> engage in unsolicited private conversation.

Sorry, my mistake.

>     I basically needed it for 'mytop' from MariaDB, but it turned out
>     mytop doesn't even work with p5-DBD-MariaDB.
>

> I have not interacted with MariaDB or mytop with either driver. So I
> cannot
> help with usage of DBD::MariaDB.
>
>     So I had to install p5-DBD-mysql from ports with mariadb client
>     installed beforehand. But then when I do 'pkg upgrade' of course a
>     mess ensues. I had to remove the packcage from the database by
>     hand which is ugly solution to say the least :)
>

> What does actually happen when "mess" happens?
pkg tries to uninstall mariadb(server/client) and then install
mysqlclient (and other packages) which will basically destroy the system
setup.

>     So my actual question is how to make 'mytop' (and other similar
>     things) from MariaDB work ?
>     One way is to just have "p5-DBD-mysql-mysql" and
>     "p5-DBD-mysql-mariadb" - but that looks a 'bit' ugly too.
>

> I have no idea what are you referring to with "p5-DBD-mysql-mysql"
> & "p5-DBD-mysql-mariadb".

The names of new packages which can be complied with dependency to mysql
and mariadb so the people wont have to resort to ports.

>     Forcing people to use the ports
>

> You are more than free to install Perl software via cpan or cpanm.
> Who is forcing you?

Will that work on FreeBSD  ?  I never used it (never had success) in my
20+ years of using FreeBSD. I gave up probably 15 years ago.