Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:31:24 -0700
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@peony.ezo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN "BSS mode" on FreeBSD?

At 08:58 AM 9/30/00, Jim Flowers wrote:
>You have a number of hurdles here.  First get the latest firmware and
>upgrade a couple of cards.  I think it is 6.01.  It works with Bill Paul's
>driver to provide a BSS ad hoc node (really).  Portables with the same
>firmware will find the network name and follow any frequency changes you
>make in the base station so apparantly the beacons are working.'

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here.  We've all known for
a long time that a FreeBSD box can act as 'pseudo-AP' by having the WaveLAN
running in "ad hoc demo" mode. That's what I've been doing for several
months now, and we don't need any firmware upgrade for this.

What I'm trying to do now is get a FreeBSD box to run a true AP, with the
WaveLAN running in "infrastructure" (aka "BSS") mode.  That's what I was
asking about.

         Ross.