Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 09:12:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Oscar Castaneda <oscarcvt@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can i use pine to recieve hotmail email?

Hi Oscar!

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Oscar Castaneda wrote:

> im using freebsd 4.3-stable, and as a result of overflowing my webmail,
> which i do not download in pine i was wondering if i could use pine to
> check/download email stored in my hotmail account??
First of all you have to find out, if hotmail offers a
POP3-service (Most InternetServiceProviders do, if not take
yahoo.com or any other). POP3 is a protocol that allows your
computer to download emails from remote machines. Your ISP
will give you his POP3-adress (something like
pop.hotmail.com or so).
When you have got that and you really want to use
(the very fast, but not so nice to look at) pine, you have
to install fetchmail (/usr/ports/mail/fetchmail) first.
Fetchmail is a program that fetches your mail from your POP3-account,
so you can read it in pine.

It might take some time until you have read all the
manuals about fetchmail and configured it.
But in the meantime you can go on using your web-mail.

Good Luck

Uli.