Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:13:58 +1200
From:      Julian Peterson <julian@pandromeda.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, kevin godfrey <kevin@ticktockman.com>
Subject:   Re: Actual Microsoft Question (Was: Re: Microsoft Bashers)

At 10:36 7/08/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>kevin godfrey wrote:
>
> > So as I see it, most of the major operating systems TCP/IP
> implementations are
> > based on BSD.  If I recall correctly, didn't Linux adopt the BSD stack
> not too
> > long ago?  Or am I mistaken?
>
>IIRC, Linux used to use the BSD stack, but they have reimplemented it in
>2.4x. Why? I don't know. It wasn't broken, so I can only guess
>embarassment was the cause.

um, no, there's nothing embarrassing about having BSD code in Linux.  In
fact quite the opposite.  There's a bunch of good BSD stuff, and it's used
where appropriate.  This isn't some dirty secret, it's recognition of what
works best.

FYI, here's a bit from the "Wonderful World of Linux 2.4"

"Linux 2.4 also includes a completely rewritten networking layer. In fact,
it has been made as unserialized as possible so that it will scale far
better than any previous version of Linux. Additionally, the entire
subsystem has been redesigned to be as stable as possible on multiprocessor
systems and many possible crashes have been eliminated (this is part of the
so called "soft net" changes that have been recently integrated.)."

Hope that helps.

Julian.