Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Satya Devireddy <satya@dspsoft.com>
To:        RJEnt <rjent@rjent.pair.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xwindows sessions from Windoze95?

> I am interested in haveing several users run an X sesion (on a FreeBSD 2.2.6 box running the X11R6 it
> shipped with) from there Win95 boxes.  I know two unix boxes can do this.  I know that the win95 boxes will
> need some kind of client software and I read about VNC but concluded that it was only for a single
> session I think, plus I needed there server software from what I could gather.  I have no experience in this
> and see lots of possibilties if it would work.  I would like to continue to use the X11R6 on the BSD server if
> possible.  I need to have access for about 50 stations to start.

By X-Session I assume you want to run X programs on the bsd box and
display them on the PC's ?

I use the Exceed from Hummingbird to accomplish this. It has a different
version for NT & 95. It lets you run an X-Server on the PC so that
users can export DISPLAY=hostpc:0 on the bsd box and have the window
open on their pc.

Downside is that Exceed costs a lot. But it is a full fledged package.

I did see some demo version of X-server for PC which lets you connect
to a single host box at a time. I might have a copy at work.

If you need it, I can look it up.

Suggestions anyone ?

-Satya