Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:46:26 -0400
From:      David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] some errors after 4 Stable upgrade

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I am getting these messages on boot
> >
> > Jun 27 13:03:13 tracker /kernel: WARNING: "fd" is usurping "fd"'s
> > cdevsw[]
> > Jun 27 13:03:13 tracker /kernel: WARNING: "fd" is usurping "fd"'s bmaj
>
> Hmm.  That sounds like device mismatches.  Try re-making the standard
> devices with the new MAKEDEV script from your new sources.  [I assume
> you already did that, but it would be highly desirable to do it again
> just to be sure you didn't forget, and that you did it with the
> MAKEDEV that matches the sources you installed.

I did do that. And I did it again.

The actual MAKEDEV command I used from /dev was;
./MAKEDEV all (I also tried your sh MAKEDEV)
it seems to rebuild most of the devices.

Here's something maybe -
As I mentioned - when a sound command is issued a screen error reads;

/dev/dsp: Device not configured

You would think I could re-make those devices, but I can't;
entering;

sh MAKEDEV dsp*

returns;
dsp - no such device name
dsp0 - no such device name
dspW - no such device name
dspW0 - no such device name

shouldn't I be able to make those devices?

> > Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x200
> > specified. Neer
> > est valid baseport is 0x210.  Failing probe.
> > Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: unknown0: <SYM 53C416> at port
> > 0x200-0x21f irq
> > 10 on isa0
> >
> > It tried looking for "fd", "bmaj", "0x200" in GENERIC file - to get
> > some idea what these errors are about - not there
>
> adv0 is an AdvanSys SCSI controller.  If you don't have one, disable
> it (either through boot-time configuration, loader scripts, or by
> compiling a kernel without it).
Took out adv0 as per your mention - that part cured.

> > Also - my sound is not working
>
> Try solving the other problems first.
>
> > WHen I try and use sound I get an error on the screen;
> > /dev/dsp: device not configured
>
> Right.  It's not working.
>

> If I had to guess, I'd say that you hadn't built the sound devices,
> either (if you recall, that was my guess about the "fd" errors as
> well), but that's just a guess.  Make sure you've imported the new
> MAKEDEV from the new sources -- this is covered in the handbook
> section on building from source -- and do the following:
>  # cd /dev
>  # sh MAKEDEV std
>  # sh MAKEDEV snd0
> and see if these problems go away...