Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:29:37 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading mutiple machines...

I am new to the stable tracking process, but it looks faily simple as
far as I can make out (though I cant find a target for make that just
rebuilds what I;ve chnaged - do I have to 'make buildworld' *every* time?
surely not?)

anyway, I have one master machine with all the surce & gubbins on it,
plus several slave machines with just a user install on them. I want to
keep these in sync by NFS mounting /usr/src and then doing a
'make installworld' on each after building on the master.

This works for installing the kernel O.K., but when I use the installworld
target I get failures on the NFS machines - they complain about missing files.
The same tree works quite happly on the mail machine. So I am worndering
several things...

1) Is this actually a sensible thing to do anyway ? I have a worry that I am
   upgrading NFS whilst it is runnign and it may break horribly. I got the
   idea from the online documentation though, but I think that just applied to
   the kernel.

2) Is the fact that I have a smaller distribution on th slave machines going
   to be recognised, or will an 'installworld' just clobber everything and
   install compilers, include files, etc... if I use 'installmost' then that
   implies it will not upgrade libraries though - so what happens when a shared
   library changes ?

3) Do I neeed to set maproot=root on the NFS ? I currently have it set as
   'nobody' as I assumed an 'installworld' would only need read access. It
   works fr the ketenl after all.

Any helpful hintsor pointers to the correct documentation would be much
appreciated. Also the solution to not having to wait 5 hours after only
changing one file ! :-)

cheers,

-pete french.