Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:40:44 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        "John J. Fox IV" <jfox@wizzards.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need documentation RE: /boot/kernel.conf

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 04:32:55PM -0700, John J. Fox IV wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed FreeBSD (for the first time) over the weekend.  I
> really like it.  There's *lots* to learn, but that's all part of the
> fun.
>
> I am having a problem -- though -- trying to understand the purpose
> and syntax of "/boot/kernel.conf".  Man pages, and web/faq/handbook
> searches have all failed me as I try to unearth a document that
> will explain this to me.
>
> Someone on EFNet #FreeBSD pointed me to "/boot/defaults/loader.conf"
> which references "/boot/kernel.conf", but doesn't explain it. I didn't
> want to make a pest of myself so I decided I'd post my question here.
>
> FWIW, here is a snippet from "/boot/kernel.conf":
> -----------

These are like an "auto-answer" commands for the boot configuration
(what you get when you do ``boot -c''). See below for explanation.

di psm0     <-- disable psm0
di zp0      <-- disable zp0
di ze0
<snip>
di adv0
en ppc0     <-- enable ppc0
ir ppc0 7   <-- set IRQ of ppc0 to 7
f ppc0 0x40 <-- set flags of ppc0 to 0x40
q           <-- quit