Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:03:31 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Sascha Klauder <sklauder@ibd-web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 a severe disappointment

In message <200003231900.e2NJ0Aa07714@blueice.shopkeeper.de> Sascha Klauder writes:
: On Thu Mar 23 19:41:17 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
: > What kind of card?  The MAC looks bogus to me.  Are you sure that
:
: It's a D-Link DFE-650TX. The cisdump matches exactly that one on the
: PAO site.
:
: > nothing else is using 0x240-0x25f on your machine (generally nothing
: > would be, but I gotta ask).
:
: There is a SB Pro at 0x220, 0x330, 0x388, irq 5, dma 0, dma 1. But it's
: disabled, so I hope there are no other devices floating around...

In the BIOS?  Try not using irq 5.

: > Are you sure that both irq 3 and 5 are free?
:
: Well, there is only one sio at irq4, so I'd guess irq 3 is free.
:
: Now, what's interesting too, I can select the "PC Card controller mode"
: in the BIOS; there are three settings "Auto-Selected", "PCIC Compatible"
: and "CardBus/16-Bit". Now I've selected CardBus, and the kernel
: recognizes a "pcic-pci0: <Toshiba ToPIC95 PCI-CardBus Bridge>", but it
: doesn't detect the card slots. There's a "<NEC uPD 9210 USB controller>"
: too, at the same interrupt (11) as the CardBus controller, but I can't
: disable it. I've tried a BIOS-update already, no go. That thing drives
: me crazy....

You'll want PCIC Compatible mode.  I don't think that we always handle
the card bus bridge setup into pcic mode as well as we should.  There
are some patches floating around that will do this, but I've not had
time to evaluate and test them.  I think they are from iwasaki-san,
but I could be wrong.

Warner