Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 22:29:29 MST
From:      steve@khoros.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Share vs Static library questions

	Hi..

	I'm currently working on porting Khoros to FreeBSD 2.0, and have a
	couple of questions about how to compile our libraries so that
	both the *.a and the *.so file are created correctly.

	I have currently written the imake rules such that each *.c
	in a library is compiled twice.  Once with the -fpic option,
	and once without.  Then I use the *.o's with the -fpic option
	to compile the *.so library and the other *.o's to make a
	*.a library.  This works perfectly, but it is annoying and
	time consuming to compile each *.c twice.

	So, my question is whether or not it is feasible to generate
	both a *.so and a *.a from one set of .o's.  I tried generating
	a *.a from the .o's compiled with the -fpic option, and got
	an error while linking a program, so I know that doesn't work.
	Is there some option I'm missing?  Am I stuck compiling this
	stuff twice?  For reference, we are able to generate both
	shared and static libraries under OSF/1, SunOS, and Solaris.

	Any help appreciated.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen        | Khoral Research Inc.
steve@khoros.unm.edu    | 6001 Indian School, Suite 200
(505) 837-6500          | Albuquerque, NM 87110
This Space for Rent.	| URL: http://www.khoros.unm.edu/