Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:44:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap on Irix (overcommiting, etc.)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> >     I think they finally got rid of vswap in later IRIX's after they
> >     fixed the core swapping code to 'overcommit'.  The reality behind
> >     the virtual swap concept w/ IRIX is based on issues with the original
> [...]
>
> Mmm, that's how they use(d) it then... But can we have a way for an
> admin to control the amount of overcommited memory? Ranging from 0 -- no
> overcommitment to the entire addressable space less the phisical storage
> (the current situation)... And this is different from the per-user class
> limit.
>
> I guess, I'd settle for being able to specify the per-user class:
>
> 	. datasize limit in percents of the total available RAM+swap
> 	. kill-order, so the kernel will start killing with the least
> 	  important users (and services running in their own sandboxes)
>
> Does not fix the non-compliance with ANSI, strictly speaking...

This is the part that gets me.  You keep claiming ANSI C non-compliance,
and we are compliant.  If you want to claim non-compliance, then get out
the spec and quote chapter and verse.  There is nothing in the spec that
says how the underlying OS has to treat processes on a global scale.

This hasn't a darn thing to do with ANSI C compliance.  If you want to
argue that you don't like memory overcommit, that's valid, but claiming
the non-compliance is throwing FUD.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).