Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:19:10 -0500
From:      Nils Holland <ncptiddische@compuserve.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Routing / IP-Forwarding

Hi folks,
here's another problem I'm trying to solve:

I wanted to set up my FreeBSD-Box as a router in order to route IP-traffi=
between the local network and the Internet. The first thing I did was
setting up a PPP-connection to my ISP on the FreeBSD machine. This
connection is working and I can access the web from the BSD-box without a=
ny
problems. In the ppp.conf script I used the add default HISADDR command i=
order to set the default route to my ISP.

Then I went to the NT workstations around here and made some changes to
their network-configuration. For the TCP/IP protocoll I added my BSD-box =
as
gateway and my ISPs DNS-Server as DNS. I rebooted and though it must work=
,
but it didn't. Trying to access a website from the NT workstation failed,=

just like trying to ping a host outside of the local network.

I thought that maybe my default-route on the BSD-box might not come up
properly, but using the route monitor command while doing the PPP
connection showed me that it does come up the way it's supposed to.

Now I'm kinda clueless. I remember that on Linux I had to use some
ipforward / ipchains command in order to set up IP-Forwarding, but all
documents I've read about FreeBSD didn't mention such things.

BTW: The problem should not be related to my DNS-setup, since I can not
ping  remote machines by both host-name and IP-adress...

Any cluse what I'm doing wrong? Help is always appreciated!

Thanks,
Nils