Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:39:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jason+freebsd@kanda.com
To:        Malan Joubert <malan_joubert@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp dowloads via telnet downloads

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Malan Joubert wrote:

> I have a remote FreeBSD box which I can access through telnet...
> I want to be able to download large files on it by sending it commands via
> telnet... Can this be done
> all that I can manage is to "get" the file while running ftp but then i've
> got to stay telneted or else it stops....

Hi,

Take a look at screen (/usr/ports/misc/screen) this allows you to close
your telnet session leaving any processes running and then re-attach when
your next online.  You can even pickup where you left off from another
machine.

Its an essential utility if your remote admining from a modem dialup
connection.

The basics are Telnet/SSH in to your account then type:

  screen -R -D

You should now be back at a prompt, this is working within screen.  The
simplest way to test it out, is to run a command such as top, then close
your telnet window.  Now log back into your remote host and type: screen
-R -D   You should find your self back exactly where you where prior to
closing your telnet window.

Screen has some additional features that are very usefull, these include:
cut/copy/paste, terminal scroll back, a locking mode (password to unlock)
and also a virtual window capability to manage multiple telnet windows
with only one client open.

These additional features are controlled by using CTRL+A followed by
a single command character, a brief summary of the important commands are:

?  = get screen help
d  = dettach screen - you can re-attach by typing: screen -R -D
     any processes, virtual windows will continue to run
c  = create a new virtual window
<SPACE> = toggle through your open windows
0->9 = directly access a virtual window.  Alot like CTRL+F1,F2 etc. from
     the local console
k  = kill/close the current virtual window

See the screen man page for more detailed information.

Jason.