Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 1995 22:51:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      SACBBX <rdugaue@netcom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rdugaue@sacbbx.com
Subject:   FreeBSD Install Problems

On advise of some friends I recently decided to switch a linux
network of 3 computers over to FreeBSD. I'm currently running
into several problems, which so far has left me with a network
that's unusable. Mainly, I'm having problems with installing
even the base package and getting controllers (both SCSI and
Ethernet) to function properly.

The system I'm currently having troubles with is a Pentium 90 (Plato P54c/PCI)
motherboard. It has a PCI-SC200 controller which is the NCR53C810
chipset which is on the supported list. The ethernet controller
is a 3com 3c509 also on the supported list. So far I have not
been able to get the PCI SCSI controller setup with a bootable
partition. Invaribly the setup fails when it starts to map
out superblocks on the disk. I've tried using a 200 meg HD
split into a 20 meg root, 32 meg swap, and the rest as /usr.
When I did this I got past the superblock, but upon rebooting
the system was unable to boot off the HD (yes I but a boot manager
block on it). A 4 gig drive so far has been unusable as the
superblock mapping fails everytime upon startup, doesn't even
get to the point of printing block numbers.

Deciding it was probably something strange with the PCI controller
I went out and picked up an IDE drive and popped that into my
on board IDE PCI controller. After figuring that that boot
slice for FreeBSD must start with something other then 1 I finally
at least got the system to boot with the IDE/HD combo.

However, when I boot into the packages install and specify
an NFS machine (which is still on linux, running named, and
working fine) I get an error message that appears as if the
ethernet card is having problems getting out on the net. The
card is plugged into a concentrator, and I see the port
blinking periodically, but never a consistent 'turned on'
light like the other systems that are connected to it do.
Finally I get an error message with something about unable
to obtain host_ip and mount_NFS failing. If I drop down
into a shell, setup the ethernet port with the proper
values, the light on the concentrator still does not go
on (it's not an activity light, it's a connection established light).
I'm unable to ping any of the other machines, though the light
does blink a few times when I start the ping.

So now it looks like the ethernet board is also having problems.
Both the SCSI PCI, and the 3com board are on the supported lists,
they both appear in the autoconfiguration on startup with
values that are normal defaults and seenby FreeBSD, but for
the life of me I have no idea what's going on. A 2 hour
install from what my friend told me it took for him to go
from linux->freeBSD has turned into a weekend of confusion.
I know these boards are fine as they worked with linux.

Where should I go from here? Any ideas? I have the latest
kernal boot disks and cpio. I've also tried the CDROM
distribution. Both give me the same results.

One other thing that seems odd. Everytime I reboot I get
a different MHz rating for my Pentium 90. I've seen
it fluxuate from as low as 71 Mhz to 90 Mhz in the report.
What gives with this????

Any help or response that can get me beyond this initial
hump and allow me to get to work with restoring my network
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!