Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 17:37:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
Cc:        laufen@sol.med.ge.com, terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY (fwd)

> > You should be *extremely* careful when booting a floppy and then using
> > an FDISK or whatever to manipulate the partition table.  In particular,
> > the old "fdisk/mbr after booting from a DOS floppy" will murder the
> > OnTrack boot code and render your data unusable unless you happen to
> > have one of the OnTrack 6.x/7.x disks to reinstall, and are prepared
> > to go hacking the partition table at the 65th sector after the reinstall.
>
> The flavor of OnTrack (6.2 i think) allows you to boot a floppy
> after it has loaded so you can keep your Int 13 handler the same.  I don't
> remember this in the older versions.

Note that the above still applies for "undoctored" boot disks.

> Do you know if this sort of thing is fixed with Win95 or is it still stupid
> about big disks?

It is still stupid if you disable 32 bit disk I/O.

You *must* disable 32 bit disk I/O if you don't have a BIOS option to
disable interleaved I/O *and* you have an RZ1000 based controller.

Ie: you *must* make it stupid if you have an RZ1000 and either don't
have an advance BIOS option or are afraid to edit it.  Which is most
people with the 1/3 of all E/IDE controllers.

Typically, you'd just hit OnTrack (or the one Seagate ships) before
booting Win95.  Since it ships as an "upgrade only", you'll be booted
with the INT 13 redirector in place and it will be transparent.

But this is a FreeBSD list.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---