Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 23:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        "T.J. Arrowsmith" <tarrowsmith@amicapital.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.2.5

On Sun, 16 May 1999, T.J. Arrowsmith wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD (v 2.2.5) system running here at work as a mail server and
> internet gateway/firewall.  It's been up for over a year now, and suddenly
> when I attempt to run pine, I get the following error message:
>
> ld.so failed: Can't find shared library: "libpico.so.1.3"

It is possible that the a different version of the library exists
on the system and the version of pine that you are trying to run
is not built to look for it.

Here is what you should do.

Find out if "libpico.so.*" exists on the system by typing either of the
following at the command prompt.

locate libpico
    or
find / -name "libpico.so.*" -print

If you find, say, libpico.so.2, then change t the directory that the
library is in and type the following.

ln -sf <whichever libpico you found> libpico.so.1.3

If this doesn't prove successful, take a look at the man pages:

pkg_info(1), pkg_add(1), pkg_delete, and

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html

and delete and reinstall the application.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Kevin G. Eliuk