Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:54:22 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Olivier_Cochard=2DLabb=E9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cpio and directory owner preservation behaviour

Hi all,
I meet a problem with cpio and I would to know if it's a normal
behaviour or a bug.
I would to save some files and create directories if needed with owner
and permission kept.
here is an example with net/quagga: I would to save
/usr/local/etc/quagga/ripd.conf and creating needed directory in /tmp

[root@R3]/#ls -alh /usr/local/etc | grep quagga
drwxr-xr-x   2 quagga  quagga   512B Sep 22 15:28 quagga
[root@R3]/#ls -alh /usr/local/etc/quagga/ripd.conf
-rw-------  1 quagga  quagga   134B Sep 22 15:28 quagga/ripd.conf

[root@R3]/#(cd /usr/local/etc; find . -name ripd.conf -type f | cpio
-dumpv /tmp/)

The file owner and permission for ripd.conf is keept:
[root@R3]/#ls -alh /tmp/quagga/ripd.conf
-rw-------  1 quagga  quagga   134B Sep 22 15:28 /tmp/quagga/ripd.conf

But not the directory owner that is changed to root:wheel
[root@R3]/#ls -alh /tmp | grep quagga
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512B Sep 22 16:41 quagga

Is a cpio bug ?

Thanks,

Olivier