Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2009 04:47:38 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        James <james@slohall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update patch not being applied

On Sun 2009-03-01 08:50:48 UTC-0800, James (james@slohall.com) wrote:

> For some reason when i type uname -a on my desktop, which is running 7.1, all I see is this:
>
> 	$ uname -a
> 	FreeBSD me 7.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan  1 08:58:24 UTC 2009     root@driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> But if i run freebsd-update fetch i get this
>
> 	$ sudo freebsd-update fetch
> 	Password:
> 	Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
> 	Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-RELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... done.
> 	Fetching metadata index... done.
> 	Inspecting system... done.
> 	Preparing to download files... done.
>
> 	No updates needed to update system to 7.1-RELEASE-p3.
>
> Everytime the application has said there are new updates i installed them with `freebsd-update install`,
> and eventually i got around to restarting, but when I log back in and type `uname -a` I get the same message
> as above: `7.1-RELEASE #0`

This is (probably) normal.  uname -a shows the kernel version, however
often freebsd-update will patch other (non-kernel) parts of the base
system, leaving the kernel alone.  eg. the recent bug involving
telnetd on 7.x systems only required patching the telnetd binary.

AFAIK, each time a patch is required, /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh is
updated.

$ sudo freebsd-update fetch
No updates needed to update system to 6.4-RELEASE-p3.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD blizzard.phoenix 6.4-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p1 #0: Sun
Dec 21 07:56:41 UTC 2008     root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

$ grep -v # /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh | head -4

TYPE="FreeBSD"
REVISION="6.4"
BRANCH="RELEASE-p3"