Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:48:02 -0500
From:      Nick Slager <zith@zith.net>
To:        Nick Tonkin <nick@rlnt.net>
Cc:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@sub21-156.member.dsl-only.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware

Thus spake Nick Tonkin (nick@rlnt.net):

> Most seem to say that one should specify netgraph bridging while building
> VMWare but host-only networking when configuring a virtual machine.
>
> I've done that (and every other possible combination, I think!) but still
> no joy. It's closer than it was but now hangs _after_ the virtual machine
> has apparently started to boot (menu buttons change, etc) with:
>
> Could not get interface address for vmnet1: Cannot assign requested
> address. Failed to configure ethernet0

I had this exact problem. I rebuilt the vmware2 port, saying `no' to
netgraph bridging, and using host-only networking for the virtual
machine.

I then enabled bridging for my workstation's ethernet interface. This
worked for me, ymmv. Let me know if this helps.

Nick
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
  -- Douglas Adams