Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:05:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Studded@san.rr.com (Studded)
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF transition for ports

Studded wrote:
> > libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.x
> > libfoo.so.x -> libfoo.so.x.y
> >
> > This would preserve the a.out functionality no?
>
> 	It seems to me that renumbering the libraries is a recipe for disaster.
> I much prefer a smarter ldconfig, and a better tagging system that
> doesn't involve changing the numbering of the libraries from a source
> outside the project.

The point here is that source outside the project that builds as ELF
uses the same tools that we do. This means that Linux/ELF and NetBSD/ELF
only have a single version number too. We don't need to invent a new wheel
here. Just get used to it!

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137