Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:03:23 -0700
From:      gryph@mindless.com
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MODEM & THE COMPLETE FREEBSD

David Johnson wrote:
> Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> > Someone asked me how one determines whether or not one has a winmodem.
> > (Macs sometimes have the equivalent of winmodems also.)  Of course
> > they don't work, but the user doesn't know for sure whether it's
> > because it's a winmodem or because ppp or whatever is not properly
> > set up--and thus doesn't know whether or not to give up.

There is only one way to tell:

A hardware modem will be detected as a standard serial port by the
BIOS and kernel probe, a software modem won't.  There will also be
jumpers on a hardware modem to manually choose the serial port to use.

> 1) If the modem box says it will work with DOS, then it is a component
> modem.

I have an old USR winmodem that has device drivers for DOS.

> 2) Since winmodems need software, check with the manufacturer for
> software updates or fixes. If there are, then it is a winmodem.

Hardware modems can come with updates/fixes.  All those 56k firmware
flash updates, for example.

> If you
> have the floppy/cd that comes with the modem, see if it actually has
> software in it, or merely configuration settings for Windows. If it is
> just configuration settings, then it is a component modem.

If it's a really cheap winmodem that uses common parts, you can install
it with just a configuration file, as the Windows CD has some software
modem drivers on it.

> > I also know of no question I can ask a sales person that they have a
> > chance of answering to determine whether the modem in a laptop is a
> > "winmodem."

Ask for the model number and reference that against the maker's
website.  If it's a PCI modem, get the PCI vendor and device ID numbers
and reference those against the registered IDs list.

> One thing I have told people to do is to simply demand a refund or
> replacement for winmodems. It won't work everytime, but I've seen it
> work often enough, even with the big box stores like Best Buy. Escalate
> the issue up to managers and vice presidents if you have to.

If you ask the sales staff if it's a hardware or software modem, and
they can't tell you, and you then can their assurance you can return
the modem if it turns out to be a software modem, then you have a case.
Otherwise you're risking fighting against open-box policy.  Most stores
won't take back an item simply because you bought the wrong part if no
salesperson told you it was the right one.