Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:29:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS/2 MCA Model 80 port --- (don't laugh too hard)

> > Although the PS/2 line is mostly a dinosaur, there are a lot of the
> > beasts out there.  What is the potential of doing a scsi based port
> > to something like the model 80 line (386/16M/scsi) based upon borrowing
> > some of the Minix or Linux code?   I am looking for something very low-
> > endian with no frills.  Is there anyone that has done something like
> > that or worked in that area, or does any of the early(?) FBSD attempts
> > at that still exist?
>
> I have precisely this hardware sitting at home.  I also have the
> PS/2 ethernet cards.

As a general premise.... maybe the port should use the standard IBM
scsi-1 controller, the 3c523 card, and scsi tape (I don't have any
info on the IBM 6157 (Cypher) tape drives or adapters.  I do have a
Future Domain mca scsi controller, though, that I could use.

> I thought the correct approach to take would be to use the ABIOS calls,
> but I have been unable to locate a copy of the Red Book.

OK, any info is appreciated.  All I have are the minix and linux sources
and patches to work with, and some snippets of boot code from an old
dead 4.3BSD port to a hybrid RT-PS/2 that never made it in the real world.
I am expecting that between all of those bits and pieces, it should be
possible to get something to come up.  The interrupt handling seems
to be the main thing, the A20 line handling, and some wierd adapter
probing.

Which level of FBSD should we work with?  Would it be wise to use something
like picobsd to test it out?  I understand that current is a bit up in the
air.  I have AIX up on several PS/2's, and it might be possible to do some
sort of a cross compile there, or from my home work box (I can load up
whatever version might be best to work with [currently it has 3.0-980523]).

RDK